The Cold Hard FAQs
- How is GnuSanté different than other beverage companies?
- Where do we start?!! We're breaking all the rules! Check out our Our Story Page and the blog to read more.
- How long are gnubees™ and gnuFUEL™ good for?
- gnubees™ and gnuFUEL™ beverages are “shelf stable” which means they don't spoil so long as the pouch is sealed. However, after about 24 months some of the vitamins may begin to degrade so some of the nutrients will no longer meet "label claim" (the amount of a nutrient that we say it contains on the package). As with nearly everything but wine, gnubees™ and gnuFUEL™ are better fresh!
- How long will a pouch last after it’s been opened?
- gnubees™ and gnuFUEL™ are packaged in single serving pouches but if you don’t finish the whole thing, you can pop it in the fridge and consume it within 48 hours.
- Can I freeze the pouches?
- Yep! Unopened pouches make great little ice-packs for lunch bags and once defrosted, are still delicious and nutritious! Just be sure you defrost them in either the fridge or an insulated cooler bag and shake them before drinking.
- What do you mean when you say “leave out all unnecessary ingredients”?
- We believe that what you consume is critical to your health, but so is what you DON’T consume! We keep out artificial colours, anything artificial (like flavour enhancers or sweeteners), anything GMO, pH stabilizers and buffering agents.
- What are your pouches made of and are they BPA Free?
- Our BPA Free pouches are comprised of 4 layers: An interior layer of PE (Polyethylene) is the sealant and holds the product. Next comes a layer of aluminum to provide a barrier from light and oxygen, to protect the vitamins and minerals from degrading. After that is a layer of nylon for strength. Lastly is a layer of PET for structure/rigidity.
- Can I put the pouches in the microwave?
- Nope, don't do that.
- Do you use preservatives?
- No. We pasteurize our beverages to avoid the use of preservatives.
- Are your ingredients GMO-Free and organic?
- All ingredients that go into gnubees™ and gnuFUEL™ are GMO-Free. Whenever appropriate, we use organic ingredients. In some instances, we are not able to get organic certified ingredients because they simply don't exist (as in the case of some minerals), and in some instances using organic certified ingredients adds cost but not value. We take ingredient selection very seriously and don't allow organic certification to be an excuse to stop thinking.
- How are your shipping rates calculated?
- We try very hard to keep our shipping costs as low as possible.
In our hometown of Vancouver, we offer 2 delivery options. Free local pickup or $4.25 local delivery. Across Canada and the Continental US, our rates are calculated as follows:
Standard 5-7 day shipping. $8 shipping for the first pack and $4 for every additional pack thereafter (for example, if you order 2 packs, your shipping cost would be $8+$4= $12).
- Where Can I Find Your Products?
- Here! The traditional food & beverage distribution and retail model requires multiple layers of middle men, each of whom demand profit margins along the way. As such, in order to stay solvent, manufacturers have 2 choices: either cut the quality of their products, or hike the cost of their products at retail. We think both of these choices result in consumers losing value. So we've opted out of the traditional model and sell our products directly to you on our site, or at very select vendors whose respect for their customers match our own.
- How do I recycle the Pouches?
- We’re so glad you asked, because gnubees and gnuFUEL contain dairy, you aren’t able to simply just pop these bad boys into the blue bin (like our 52° North pouches); however, they are still recyclable. Just bring them to a recycling depot indicated here. They are aggregated by Recycle BC, to read more about this new program they have in place, click here. We recognize that in a perfect world, there would be zero waste. However, we believe that pouches are the way to go, as the energy requirements and CO2 emissions for Other Flexible Plastic Packaging are significantly lower than those of glass, rigid plastic, or even aluminum, therefore, less pollution. This is why we stand behind our packaging and will continually advocate for better and easier recycling routes for consumers to make easier decisions.